Feature and Follow Friday–Required Reading

FF_2012

Hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read

Featured Blogs: Concise Book Reviews by Michelle and Books are my Reality

Q: Summer Reading. What was your favorite book that you were REQUIRED to read when you were in school?

Off the top of my head, I’d have to pick The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

The Picture of Dorian Gray

This is still one of my favorite books and I loved being able to discuss all the elements and the theme of this book in English class. This book is what got me back into reading a lot, I think. While I read a ton of great books in school, this was such an interesting story that was so different from the other books we read.

My next choice would be from earlier in my schooling. I can’t remember if I read these at the end of elementary school or the beginning of middle school, but The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton are some of my favorites, too.

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Outsiders

And I cannot forget to mention 1984 by George Orwell, Animal Farm by George Orwell, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

 

1984Animal FarmFahrenheit 451

These three books are some of my favorites, but they aren’t my first choice for this question because I didn’t really appreciate them as much as I do now when I read them in school. These are books best read as an adult when you see the world so much differently.

If I don’t stop now, I’ll end up posting virtually every book I read in school because I loved so many of them. The shorter list would be books I hated that I was required to read. =)