Booking Through Thursday–Guilty Pleasures

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week’s question:

SammyDee asks: What book(s) have you read that you’re secretly ashamed to admit?

I love and hate this question. I love it because no matter how many good books you read, everyone enjoys a little bit of fluff. I hate it because I don’t think it is right to judge people based off the books they read. I don’t understand why people do this, since we usually don’t judge people based off of what television shows they watch!

I suppose the most obvious answer is the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. I was devastated when the craze happened because I loved Twilight, but was embarrassed at the hype. Suddenly, the bashing started to happen. Most of my friends know I’m a huge bookworm and come to me for book recommendations and suddenly, I was so ashamed to be a fan of these books. Instead of people thinking, “Well, it can’t be that bad if Megan liked it.” it was “I cannot BELIEVE you actually like this series!” And the movie certainly didn’t help me out since it wasn’t very good and that’s the only thing the bashers had to go on, since they didn’t read the books themselves. I’m actually rereading the book right now and plan to write a review once I’m finished and talk about these points.

I’ve also enjoyed plenty of paranormal romances, such as The Black Dagger Brotherhood novels by J.R. Ward and the Carpathian series by Christine Feehan. I don’t read much of that genre anymore, but those books were my favorites. I usually don’t admit this because they are romance novels and they have a lot of sex scenes and totally loved them.

Those are pretty much the only books I’m a little ashamed to admit I liked. I suppose I should just get over it because people aren’t defined by the books they read. There are good books out there in every genre. People can be so rude about what they consider terrible works of literature, but as I said above, we aren’t quite so judgmental about television shows (and I consider a bad or trashy TV show worse than a bad or trashy book because at least with reading, you are reading and using your brain a bit more).