Top Ten Tuesday–I Hope They Are Still Reading…

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope Are Still Being Read In 30 Years

This is difficult because so many books I read are much older than 10 years. Forgive me if I list a book/series that is a little older than 10 years. Sometimes, I forget the 90s were 20 years ago instead of 10.

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I hope this books stands the test of time. It’s certainly a good one.

2. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak. This was such an amazing book dealing with some heavy issues and I hope people will be reading this for many years to come.

3. A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin. I’m not positive that the earlier books are younger than 10 years old, but since the series is still being written, I think it’s appropriate to include. I fell in love with the series. There is so much going on, so many human elements, so many villains and not many good guys. As far as epic stories go, this is definitely one of them.

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I’m not sure if this will stand the test of time, but I think it should. I think it’s a fabulous story and one that deals with some heavier issues without being one of those inspirational novels that I hate. I hope people will still read this in 30 years.

5. Looking for Alaska by John Green. Again, another Green book that deals with heavier issues. It was such a great story and so well done, I can’t imagine later teens not identifying with the characters in this book.

6. The Radleys by Matt Haig. I don’t think all vampire novels, or even half of them, will stand the test of time. But we’ve always liked vampires, so I think a few may stick around. I hope this one does because of how it touches on human issues, like family and temptation.

7. The Passage by Justin Cronin. I realize that part of the reason The Stand has stayed with us is the fact that it is written by Stephen King and he’s just so popular and has been for decades. But I loved The Passage and it reminded me a lot of The Stand, except better, in my opinion, so I hope that it will stay popular.

8. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I know I’m about a year shy of the 10 year mark with this one, but close enough. It’s an amazing novel and I hope it sticks around and is read by teens. It’s an important book to read, I think.

I’m at a loss for what else to put, as many of my favorites that I classify as “newer” are in fact, from the 90s. Was it really all that long ago?