Review: Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

457015

Lullaby

by Chuck Palahniuk

Summary: Ever heard of a culling song? It’s a lullaby sung in Africa to give a painless death the old or the infirm. The lyrics of a culling song kill, whether spoken or even just thought. You can find one on page 27 of Poems and Rhymes from Around the World, an anthology on the shelves of libraries across the country. When reporter Carl Streator discovers that unsuspecting readers are reading the poem and accidentally killing their children, he begins a desperate cross-country quest to put the culling song to rest and save the nation from certain disaster. Written with a style and imagination that could only come from Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby is the latest outrage from one of our most exciting writers at work today.

Review:

5 star

Absolutely amazing! Brilliant, original, and well written. As the summary states, it’s written with a style and imagination that could only come from Chuck Palahniuk. This book was recommended to me by an employee at Barnes and Noble. I told her some of the authors I liked and she told me to read this. I didn’t even read the summary in the store. I just bought it. When I got home and read what this book is about, I had no idea what to expect. I’ve only ever read Fight Club and this just seemed way different. But in the same way that Fight Club was much more than a fight club, this book is much more than a lullaby or culling song.

545872_3825701770299_1510413384_4602784_1964684467_n

416246_3837088774967_1510413384_4609028_4321101_o

Those are some pictures I took of great quotes I found while reading this book. The way Palahniuk writes amazes me. The different things he picks to analyze, all while wrapping it up in a creative and original plot, it’s just brilliant. His narratives are never boring. There’s never a simple structure that we’ve all gotten used to, no clear cut chain of events. It’s an exercise of the mind to read his books, but it’s refreshing exercise because it’s enjoyable and completely unpredictable. There is no telling where the story will go, and even if you have some guesses, you’ll still be surprised by something somewhere.

There is no way I could summarize the chain of events in the novel and still do this book justice. Just read it. It’s good.

Labels: