Review: Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12)

12381269

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse series #12)

by Charlaine Harris

Summary: With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.
Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.

Review:

2 star

While this review doesn’t contain spoilers about this book, it does contain spoilers if you are unfamiliar with the series.

This book was a tad disappointing. My first issue with this book is the recapping. After reading the previous 11 books, I know the storyline. I did not need Harris to recap important things for me. If I needed that, I would have reread the previous books first. Which is what I did last year. This irked me so much because I thought it took away from the current story and it took awhile for the plot to start because of all the reminders.

The plot was interesting, as it always is, but I felt like a lot of depth was missing from the characters in this installment. A lot of people were complaining about Eric, but he’s only one of the characters who lacked depth. I felt like the author was assuming we’d all know Eric is still Eric and so she provided less detail. And while there was much in Sookie’s narration about their relationship, I felt like they weren’t even together. It irks me a lot when novels do this. I hate to read and book and operate under the assumption that everyone’s feelings are the same when no examples are shown to prove it. And this book did that with almost every character. Sookie and Sam have a close friendship, yet barely spoke. I realize that it’s hard to pack so much information into a book, but if the author spent less time recapping stuff (yes, Sookie is telepathic, after 11 books, you don’t have to remind me) and more time continuing the development of relationships, this would have been a good book.

Sookie is also getting on my nerves. She’s never been the most logical character, but I feel like her emotions have been all over the place as the series has progressed. She’s always angry at someone for little things and tired. I get that, I mean, who can be perky when you’ve been through so many betrayals and adventures? But the anger thing really bothers me. What exactly is she so mad at Eric for when she never confides in him either? It just baffles me. I’m kind of losing my respect for Sookie when she’s always shutting someone out who cares about her. You can’t expect things to work out in your favor if you don’t communicate with people. 

At this point, I’m just ready for some closure. Any closure would be fine. According to an ad in a magazine I was flipping through today, next May will bring the closure we’ve all been waiting for. I don’t know who I want Sookie to end up with anymore.

I do love this series and I think it’s different and entertaining. I don’t want my review to sound like I hate these books. I think a 13 book series would be hard for any author to pull off. And the books make much more sense than the show. I love the world that Harris has put together and I love that her vampires abide by common rules, like sleeping during the day, being fast, drinking blood, being burned in the sun, etc. I love the addition of shapeshifters and weres and that Harris keeps the fae as violent as they are supposed to be. I love the vampire and pack politics and I think Harris has done a fantastic job with these books.

While this isn’t the best book in the series, I will continue to read future books.

Labels: