Feature and Follow Friday

Hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read

Featured Hosts: Books Galore and The Fake Steph

Q: This Sunday in the U.S. is Mother's Day. In celebration, what are some of your favorite books with strong mother/child relationships?

I’m realizing now just how many books I read that have virtually no parental connection. It’s actually surprising how many main characters have no parents, experience some life adventure alone, have little to no parental involvement if they actually have parents, or have overbearing parents that contribute to some inner turmoil (like The Bell Jar). Where are all the good parents in literature? 

I suppose A Wrinkle In Time series by Madeleine L’Engle is a good example of a strong mother and child relationship. The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin has a few examples of such relationships. White Oleander by Janet Fitch is another good example, despite some unhealthy aspects. The bond was certainly strong. I’m not sure if this counts, but I’d say Harry Potter. Not Harry’s mother, but Ron’s. She was a good mom to all of her kids and remained active in their lives.

And just for good measure, Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch. I’ll never forget that one.

Love You Forever

I’m sure I’ve read others and I’ll think of them as soon as I post this, but for the life of me, I can’t think of anything else.