Third Sentence Thursday

hosted by: Proud Book Nerd
Third Sentence Thursday is a weekly meme that Proud Book Nerd hosts.
How to play along...
Take the book you are currently reading and open it to a random page. Share the third full sentence on that page. (If there isn’t a third one – like at the end of a chapter or a blank page – you can share the third sentence of the book or just choose another random page.) Feel free to share more than one sentence, if you feel the need to do so.
  1. Share your thoughts, if any, on the sentence.
  2. Post a link to your blog post in the link list below. Don’t forget to link at Proud Book Nerd's blog, too! (There is a button in the sidebar to the right.) If you don’t have a blog, just leave it in the comments there.
  3. Visit one or two of the other blogs to check out their third sentence(s).
 
“Ignoring the founders’ loud and explicit warning that we should not allow one person to unilaterally take us to war has been demonstrably bad for this country. Turns out it’s not so great for that one person, either.” pg 147
Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power
by Rachel Maddow
Thoughts: This took me a second. A lot of the third sentences were detailed descriptions of statistics and facts that I didn’t really want to post. This is just one of those books that I don’t think one quote can really help, since they require knowing the context. But the quote I picked seemed a little bit perfect. After all, that’s kind of what this book is about. I’ve thought for a long time that the military is almost a separate entity, ignored largely by the public and criticized by people who don’t understand it. I wanted to know why and then I heard about this book. But I wanted to avoid bipartisan bull**** that so often takes the form of books like these. I’m only on pg 51, but so far, it’s been a great read and the quote I picked really sums up part of the problem.




Labels: