Musing Mondays


hosted by Should Be Reading

This week’s musing  {thanks to this article} asks…

What do you think are the top 5 books every woman should read? 

Picking books based solely on gender is always difficult. The article lists books that I would recommend to anyone, not just women.

But I'll give this list a shot.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath because it deals with depression from a female point of view that men may not appreciate as much? I don't know.

White Oleander by Janet Fitch because some of the coming of age moments were strictly from a female point of view and I don't know that men would like this book.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger because it deals with absence and love and doesn't touch upon the mechanics of time travel.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson because I imagine it would be awkward to read this book if you weren't a girl.

The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer because I highly doubt most men would want to read from a clumsy girl's point of view about how much she loves a sparkly vampire.


I refuse to list books that are about losing weight or being self confident or memoirs about eating or plastic surgery or appearance issues. I don't really read books like that in the first place, but I think it's borderline offensive to insist that women SHOULD read these books. I like to give the entire gender the benefit of the doubt and assume that most of us are strong and smart and don't need feel good books to change our lives. We just want good books to read to stimulate our brains. If it wasn't for the fact that I think men enjoy the Hunger Games as much as women, I'd have listed that because of Katniss's no bull attitude and strength that I think women everywhere should be aware of and appreciate.




Labels: