Fated Review

Book Covers 012

Fated (The Soul Seekers #1)

by Alyson Noel

Summary: The first book in a magnificent new series about a girl who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead by #1 New York Times bestselling author Alyson Noël.
Lately strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, and glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire is having a nervous breakdown, her mother packs her off to stay in the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico with a grandmother she’s never met.
There she crosses paths with Dace, a gorgeous guy with unearthly blue eyes who she’s encountered before...but only in her dreams. And she’ll get to know her grandmother—a woman who recognizes Daire’s bizarre episodes for what they are. A call to her true destiny as a Soul Seeker, one who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead. Her grandmother immediately begins teaching her to harness her powers—but it’s an art that must be mastered quickly. Because Dace’s brother is an evil shape-shifter who’s out to steal her powers. Now Daire must embrace her fate as a Soul Seeker and find out if Dace is one guy she’s meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she’s destined to destroy.

Review: I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I won this book via LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program.

This book is written very well and is descriptive. I wasn’t expecting that at all. I found myself unable to put this book down, completely captivated by Daire’s narration and the beautifully crafted world she describes.

Daire is not an ordinary 16 year old. She shows wisdom and worldliness that is admirable. Despite her weak moments after discovering her true destiny, she was a strong female character. Used to being in places all over the world with celebrities, because her mom is a makeup artist for movie sets, she finds herself planted in a small New Mexico town. I enjoyed experiencing the town through Daire’s eyes, as she was careful not to miss a detail. She wrote in her journal about how vast everything seemed.

I can’t recall reading a book that has touched on fantasy from a Native American and Hispanic origin, but this was interesting and new to me and I found the history to be interesting. I fell in love with Enchantment, New Mexico, as Daire did. What at first seemed stifling and boring to her became a place where she could have a sense of home and permanence. I can relate to that, since I’m a navy wife and have moved every 2 years, and grew up in a navy family that did the same. I found my place and home with my husband, as Daire does with the town, her grandmother, and Dace.

I am almost kicking myself for winning this book because I enjoyed it so much and have SUCH a long wait for the next book in the series. I wish I had them all right now! I definitely recommend this book. It was a refreshing YA fantasy with new elements I’ve never before been introduced to. I think others will find it as good as I did.

Labels: