Booking Through Thursday–Literary Pet Peeves

hosted by Booking Through Thursday

This week's question:

Bookish Sarah asks: What are your literary “pet peeves”?

Underdeveloped characters. I can’t stand reading a book with a great concept only to have the characters flat and unbelievable or totally predictable.

Plot holes. Nothing aggravates me more than a fantastic story that doesn’t stack up to scrutiny. It can ruin everything.

Overuse of the same adjectives. It’s hard even for me to write reviews without using the same words. I think I say “interesting” and “amazing” all the time, but I’m not writing a book! Authors do a ton of research for novels, so it’s sad when I see the same words to describe something.

Those are pretty much the top three things that would make me instantly dislike a book.

Labels: