55 Bookish Questions

Fun Bookish Questionairre

1. Favorite childhood book?


A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle

2. What are you reading right now?

Atonement by Ian McEwan

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

I haven't used a library in a few years. I like to have books so one day I'll have a vast collection.

4. Bad book habit?

I've discovered after working at a used book store and observing my books at home that I put a lot of wear into books for some reason. It could just be the way I read. All my bindings are creased.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Nothing.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

No. I've been thinking about getting a nook simple touch. I prefer the way the words look on it. But I haven't made the leap yet.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

Just one at a time. I must give all of my attention to a book.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Not really. I still read what I enjoy. I'm not quite big yet, so I haven't gotten a huge amount of ARCs to read.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)

Crime and Punishment. I just couldn't get used to the style of writing. Perhaps it was a poorly translated version.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

The Fault in Our Starsby John Green, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk are ones that come to my mind.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

All the time. I can't stay within just a few genres.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

I don't know... I read so many different books. I suppose my favorites are dystopian novels of any kind.

13. Can you read on the bus?

I don't think I've been on a bus in a decade. But I'm sure I could.

14. Favorite place to read?

Anywhere at home. Sometimes I'll sit on the porch, which is nice in the spring.

15. What is your policy on book lending?

I probably won't lend you my book. I've given out way too many books only to have them never returned. If I love a book enough to recommend it to friends, I love it enough to keep it. I know that's stingy, but I've been burned before. Books aren't cheap!

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

NO NO NO NO NO. No.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

NO NO NO! One of my biggest pet peeves. If you must take notes, write on a notebook and cite the page number.

18. Not even with text books?

No. Everyone knows you can resell at the end of the class!

19. What is your favorite language to read in?

English is the only language I comprehend.

20. What makes you love a book?

An interesting plot with well developed characters.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

Hearing someone talk about a subject will sometimes remind me of a book and I usually recommend it.

22. Favorite genre?

Literary Fiction. This is a wide genre that encompasses many different ideas. YA is becoming one of my favorites, too.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)

Horror or Sci Fi. I really need to pick up some more books in these genres. It's not that I rarely read them as a whole, it's just that I read them less often than others.

24. Favorite biography?

I don't know that I've ever enjoyed a biography...

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Yep. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens. It was required summer reading before 11th grade. I don't like self help books.

26. Favorite cookbook?

My Betty Crocker cookbook I recieved on my wedding day. It's full of useful information and wonderful recipes.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Letters in Cardboard Boxes by Abby Slovin. I just had to pick up the phone and call my grandmother. We are close anyway, but it definitely made me think of her.

28. Favorite reading snack?

I don't really snack while I read. I smoke. I should probably snack...

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

Twilight hype. I am going to reread the books this year as part of a challenge to reassess my feelings about it. I enjoyed the story for the most part when I read it. Then the movie previews started coming about and then it just kind of got out of hand. I'm embarrassed to like Twilight because of what the fan craze has caused. The craze has caused people to overanalyze the books and criticize them and while the critics make decent points, I feel that there are many many books that could be ruined with a microscope. Why pick on YA or Teen Fiction? There's whole adult genres of books that are much much worse than Twilight with even worse insituations about women.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

I don't read professional critiques on books normally. If I do, I normally disagree.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

I hate doing that almost as much as I hate not enjoying the book. But I decide to share my thoughts and am always going to be honest about them. A bad book deserves a bad review. I'm always careful to put exactly what I didn't like about it. That way, other people can read the review and decide if those particular things matter to them or not.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?

Latin.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

Nothing intimidates me anymore.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

I suppose The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm not really too nervous, but I've heard so many mixed reviews and the bookstore I work at doesn't have the entire trilogy, which is reason #1 I haven't begun.

35. Favorite Poet?

e.e. cummings. I can't help but smile when I read his poems.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

None anymore, but when I did use the library, I would check out 14, as the due date was 2 weeks. A book a day. =)

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?

Never. Even with free books, I am selective. I wouldn't pick it up if I didn't want to read it.

38. Favorite fictional character?

Maybe it's because the show is back on, but I'll say Jon Snow from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones). He's just so honorable and always tries to do the right thing. I admire his qualities.

39. Favorite fictional villain?

Wow, hard question... I suppose Voldemort from Harry Potter.

40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?

Whatever is on my TBR shelf.

41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.

I don't know. I think I've always read.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

Killing Kelly by Heather Graham. When I was on my popular fiction/romantic suspense kick a few years ago, I cringed reading this. It was so badly written with such terribly developed characters and a predictable plot... I just couldn't do it.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

Blogging. While I enjoy it, I suppose I'm a little more attentive now when reading and so I have to stop and make a note of something if I feel like I may forget to talk about in my review.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

The Princess Bride, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Harry Potter, Speak, and Chronicles of Narnia were all WELL done.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Twilight and Percy Jackson come to mind immediately.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

$200. On just books.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Never.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

It's just badly written and I don't feel like the story is worth the effort.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

I do, but right now they aren't in any order I like. I'm running out of space, so they are organized according to size so I can fit a row in front of another row.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

Keep. Unless I don't really like it.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

Fifty Shades of Gray, The Help, and whatever else is hyped up right now. Also, most nonfiction books that are featured on television interviews.

52. Name a book that made you angry.

Life of Pi without a doubt. I literally threw it when I finished. Across the room.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow. I don't normally read crime fiction, but ended up loving it.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

Most recently, Special (Uglies #3) by Scott Westerfeld.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Every book I read is for pleasure. I suppose some of the more romantic YA fiction. I normally stay away from romance, but sometimes it's nice.

Labels: