Pretties Review

9815327

Pretties

by Scott Westerfeld

Summary:

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.
But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.
Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

Review: I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars.

At first, I was not impressed with the book. I understood what was happening, but trying to read through all of the pretty speak was so aggravating. If I hear anyone use the word bubbly ever again, I think I’ll scream. I just can’t stand the way pretties talk, like how things are “pretty-making” and what not. I get that we are reading through Tally and that’s sort of how things ARE in New Pretty Town, but I could NOT wait for her to get back to normal.

With that being said, I thought the story was definitely interesting and I like the way it continued. I enjoyed the character of Zane a lot. I never really felt that Tally was really meant to be with David in Uglies, so when I met Zane in Pretties, I thought he was a far better match. I think he knew the right way to push Tally without being too much, too extreme, too different, etc. Growing up in that kind of society, I would imagine it’s far easier to relate to someone still on your level as opposed to David, who had never grown up in that society.

I don’t want to give too much of the story away, but there were some really thought provoking aspects of it along Tally’s adventure and interesting developments with Peris and Shay. I thought Tally became a little more independent in this book. One of my major complaints about the Uglies was how all the decent decisions Tally made never seemed to be her own, truly. I felt like she grew a little bolder in this one.

I will definitely continue this series. I recently saw the Uglies is going to be a movie and I’m excited about it. Their whole world is so different than ours and I think it will adapt really well on screen. It does take quite a bit of imagination to picture everything in the books, but I like that about it.

Labels: