Uglies Review

Uglies 
by Scott Westerfeld
Summary: Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world--and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...


Review: I gave this 4 out of 5 stars.
I couldn't put this book down. This world was so captivating. I feel like I can't give this a well written review because it ended abruptly, as it's a series. I accidentally read the back of book two and figured out how this would end based on that summary, but I didn't expect to get to that ending the way I did, so I suppose I can't say this was predictable. 
Dystopian worlds are the most interesting concepts in books to me, so I was 100% on board with this world. I find it so intriguing. While I don't quite understand why they don't just put trackers in people (after all, we do this now with animals), I suppose I could justify it somehow, as many of the things we do now were forgotten and frowned upon in Uglies world. And while I also would have done things differently than Tally, the main character, her actions don't seem farfetched to me.
In a nutshell, I enjoyed this book a lot and can't wait to pick up the second one. Since I'm reading this for my book club and don't want to get ahead of myself, I have to wait until next month to open the second book. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty difficult for me to wait. 

 This book also completes category 5 of the Eclectic Reader Challenge 2012:




  hosted by: bookedout

Genres

  1. Literary Fiction
  2. Crime/Mystery Fiction
  3. Romantic Fiction
  4. Historical Fiction
  5. Young Adult
  6. Fantasy
  7. Science Fiction
  8. Non Fiction
  9. Horror
  10. Thriller /Suspense
  11. Classic
  12. Your favorite genre

Labels: