Top Ten Tuesday

hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish
 
Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little
(in no particular order) 

1. The Book Thief by Mark Zusak. I almost cried quite a few times. Parts of it were so sad.
2. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I didn't cry, but it was such a sweet and tragic story.
3.The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Because this a memoir, I spent half the time reading it thinking, Wow, this is a horrible way to grow up.
4. The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton. Another one of those books that makes you sad about how nothing turns out right.
5. The entire Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I love Martin and I love that he has enough guts to kill off characters without hesitation, but a lot of those deaths hurt! I love it and wouldn't change it for the world, but it's still terrible to see so many people die. 
6. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. It's not supposed to really break your heart, but seeing someone read his life story to his wife everyday hoping she'll remember is quite tragic, even if it is sweet.
7. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The ending was sad, of course, but what really touched me the most was how much I could identify with Claire. The very first page hit me right in the heart because everything she said was exactly how I feel when my husband is out to sea. 
8. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. One word: Dobby.
9. The Giver by Lois Lowry. I felt so bad for the boy, having to be exposed to the things we feel everyday, but that his society knows nothing about. How it must alienate you from everyone else..
10. Into The Wild by Jon Kraukauer. Part of me still thinks Chris was a little... naive, but it was still tragic how it all ended for him and how amazingly close he was to survival. It is that kind of sick irony in life.


Labels: