Marked Review

Marked
by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Summary:  The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Review: I gave this book a 3 out of 5.
I enjoyed the entire concept and world in the novel a lot. I thought it was a little different and fun. Zoey was a relate-able character and the author(s) did a good job of narrating through her eyes. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series because I can't wait to find out what happens next.
The only reason I didn't give this a higher rating was because of how well it was narrated.  Let me explain....
The author(s) couldn't have done a better job writing from the perspective of a teenager. But it was almost too teenager for me. A few places seemed to lack maturity, but I do think it was done on purpose. It reads like Zoey is really telling you the story, but along with that comes the "she was like... and I was like... and totally... she looked like a ho..." and I didn't really like that aspect. Maybe I'm just used to more mature narrating, despite the YA title. I guess even though I enjoyed this book, if all YA were written in this manner, I wouldn't read so much of the YA genre. It was a fun and light read, but that's why it only got 3 stars in my opinion.

Labels: