IT Review

It
by Stephen King
Summary: A promise made twenty-eight years ago calls seven adults to reunite in Derry, Maine, where as teenagers they battled an evil creature that preyed on the city's children. Unsure that their Losers Club had vanquished the creature all those years ago, the seven had vowed to return to Derry if IT should ever reappear. Now, children are being murdered again and their repressed memories of that summer return as they prepare to do battle with the monster lurking in Derry's sewers once more.

Review: I gave this a 4 out of 5.
I'm really glad I read this book. I've never been an avid Stephen King reader. I have read some of his books and short stories and enjoyed them, but I never sought his books out on purpose. I'm not much a horror reader, either. Both of these things may have changed. 
Parts of the book really creeped me out. I'm kind of scared of clowns, but that didn't scare me much. It was the way King describes It. When you feel it and smell it. The moment when you hesitate to go down into the basement. The kind of thing most of us feel all the time. It was well done. And the story was intriguing and interesting. I got to know all of the kids and loved them. I absolutely loved the Derry Interludes in which we get to hear about some of the strange events that happened over the years and their connection with It. It was like an old ghost story, an old mystery. And I looked over my shoulder a little bit more than usual while reading this.
I tend to avoid popular authors, especially those that seem to pop out stand alone books left and right. They tend to be disappointing in the end. I always knew that King was a good writer, but I guess I just didn't see what all the "fuss" was about. I'm still not a fanatic King person, after all, it's not my nature to be fanatic, but I think I will maybe take an extra step to the K's and see what catches my eye. =) 
And this book was so intriguing that I have recently put other horror books on my to read list.

 This book also completes category 9 of the Eclectic Reader Challenge 2012:




  hosted by: bookedout

Genres

  1. Literary Fiction
  2. Crime/Mystery Fiction
  3. Romantic Fiction
  4. Historical Fiction
  5. Young Adult
  6. Fantasy
  7. Science Fiction
  8. Non Fiction
  9. Horror
  10. Thriller /Suspense
  11. Classic
  12. Your favorite genre

Labels: