Fight Club Review

Fight Club
by Chuck Palahniuk

Summary: "The first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club." Chuck Palahniuk's outrageous and startling debut novel that exploded American literature and spawned a movement.Every weekend, in the basements and parking lots of bars across the country, young men with white-collar jobs and failed lives take off their shoes and shirts and fight each other barehanded just as long as they have to.


 
Then they go back to those jobs with blackened eyes and loosened teeth and the sense that they can handle anything. Fight club is the invention of Tyler Durden, projectionist, waiter, and dark, anarchic genius, and it's only the beginning of his plans for violent revenge on an empty consumer-culture world.
 
 
Review: I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.
I don't know what I can really say about this book that can even begin to sound half as good as the book itself. I've seen the movie a dozen times, though it's been a few years. Unfortunately, not only do I have a good memory, but I'll never forget the giant twist in the story. Knowing how things turn out, though, did not hinder my enjoyment of this book.
I loved the way it was written. It was choppy, but almost like a train of thought. I suppose if I read it about 3 more times and had about 5 hours to sit here and give it a worthy review, I could tell you what it's really about or at least what it could be about.
I won't, though, because I think it should be read and analyzed individually. If I had to pick my favorite quotes from this book, I would get in trouble, because I'd have to type out the entire novel. Here's a good one from a random page:
"I am helpless.
I am stupid, and all I do is want and need things.
My tiny life. My little shitty job. My Swedish furniture. I never, no, never told anyone this, but before I met Tyler, I was planning to buy a dog and name it 'Entourage.'
This is how bad your life can get.
Kill me."
 
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something different. It can be dark, twisted, weird, thoughtful, eye opening, confusing... it is simply wonderful.
I think this is one of those books everyone should read and read more than once. I know I will be placing it to the side and picking it up again, hopefully soon.
The characters were absolutely brilliant. It kind of makes you wonder if you really know someone. If you really know yourself. It makes you question the world we live in and what it does to people or what we do to the world.
Anything else I say would only be spoilers.
 
Just Read It.
 
 
 
This book also completes category 1 of the Eclectic Reader Challenge 2012:


 
 

 
 

 
hosted by: bookdout
 
Genres
 
  1. Literary Fiction
  2. Crime/Mystery Fiction
  3. Romantic Fiction
  4. Historical Fiction
  5. Young Adult
  6. Fantasy
  7. Science Fiction
  8. Non Fiction
  9. Horror
  10. Thriller /Suspense
  11. Classic
  12. Your favorite genre
 


Labels: