The Fault in Our Stars Review

The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green


Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Review: I gave this 5 out of 5 stars.
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? I loved it. And I don't read heart wrenching books. (Except when my husband is out to sea, which I'm excused for, since I am incomplete when he's gone and like to torture myself.) 
I have never read John Green before. I also avoid books that "everyone" is talking about. But I decided to read this after people I trust told me it was worth it. 
I really liked Hazel and reading from her point of view. 
I've seen some reviews where people don't think Hazel, Gus, or Isaac represent normal teenagers based on the way they speak. I've seen reviews where people counter this by saying they aren't normal because of what they go through in dealing with cancer. While I agree more with the counter, I don't think that is necessary why these characters are so... mature. I think teenagers like this exist in more places than we assume. Intelligent teenagers are out there and fall in love in mature ways, I know, because I'd like to think I was one of them. Maybe that's why I connected with the characters so well. I don't know.
When I first read the synopsis, I was skeptical. I thought this would be like... A Walk to Remember. Heart wrenching love story designed to be heart wrenching. But it wasn't. It was so honest, real, and kind of dark, kind of hilarious, and kind of sad. 
I've never dealt with cancer (or death, for that matter, really), but I felt like this was an honest book. 

I didn't cry, but I came close a few times and had to put it down. It was beautifully written and I'm definitely going to read this book again. I don't know what else to say. I liked it, it was well written, and it wasn't like any other book dealing with the same subject.

Labels: