The Radleys Review

The Radleys  
by Matt Haig

Summary: Meet the Radleys. Peter, Helen and their teenage children, Clara and Rowan, live in a typical suburban English town. They are an everyday family, averagely dysfunctional, averagely content. But, as their children have yet to find out, the Radleys have a devastating secret. In this moving, thrilling and extraordinary portrait of one unusual family, The Radleys asks what we grow into when we grow up, and explores what we gain - and lose - when we deny our appetites.

Review: I gave this 5 out of 5. 
I thought about giving it a 4 because it was kind of a light read, but it was so much deeper than it appeared on the surface, I thought 5 would be more appropriate. Without giving too much away, since my book club has yet to finish, I will say that I enjoyed this. 
 On the front cover of my edition, the Associated Press says, "Irresistible... Full of clever turns, darkly hilarious spins... Even if you're suffering from vampire fatigue, you'll find The Radleys is a fun, fresh contribution to the genre." I couldn't agree more with that. When I read vampire novels these days, I expect something a little bland, which could be vampire fatigue. This was definitely a nice change and was much better than I expected it to be. 


This book also completes category 12 of the Eclectic Reader Challenge 2012:


  hosted by: bookedout

Genres

  1. Literary Fiction
  2. Crime/Mystery Fiction
  3. Romantic Fiction
  4. Historical Fiction
  5. Young Adult
  6. Fantasy
  7. Science Fiction
  8. Non Fiction
  9. Horror
  10. Thriller /Suspense
  11. Classic
  12. Your favorite genre
I am on a roll!

Labels: