Book vs Movie

Is the book always better than the movie? Are there any exceptions?

When I first saw this question, my reaction was to say yes: the book is always better and no: there are no exceptions. But I would have been wrong.
Last night, I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. And it hit me.. these movies are WAYYY better than the books.

That is quite the exception. The stories are good, don't get me wrong, but C.S. Lewis was a very dry writer. Not only that, but the stories are fairly short as well. Somehow, 2 hour movies have been created with all the wonder and fantasy and detail the stories just don't compare to.
And while the HBO show Game of Thrones is a show and not a movie, it's pretty awesome and very well done and I don't think the books are any better or worse. The book and the show is about even.
When it comes to fantasy and sci-fi, I think shows and movies can be better or about the same because you are able to relax and enjoy the images presented, some of which are so out there, it's difficult to imagine while reading.

Labels: